LONDON, (SANA)- The British paper Daily Star Sunday revealed on Sunday that "UK special forces are being pulled out of Afghanistan ahead of a planned mission to help Syrian rebels".
The paper said that the "SAS and SBS commanders are drawing up top secret plans to give the fighters much-needed weapons".
It quoted a Whitehall source as saying that "SAA and SBS veterans are being 'quietly' withdrawn from Afghanistan to prepare for their new mission."
The paper added that the special forces units will be working with guidance from the British Foreign Intelligence Service (M16) and their French counterparts, the Directorate-General FOR External Security, to provide £ 20 million British-funded arsenal stockpiled in neighboring countries to the armed groups in Syria.
The paper said last week that Britain sent weapons worth £ 20 million to the armed groups in Syria which included assault rifles, light machineguns, grenades, anti-tank missiles, rocket-propelled grenade launchers and ammunition.
This move came after the announcement of the British Foreign Secretary William Hague last week that his country will increase its support to the armed terrorist groups for "achieving change in Syria".